Bank Of America Reviews

Show reviews that mention
bank account money customer customer service service credit card credit card boa
Filter review

Bank of America OD Fees-Usury!

Im with Tracy. Ive just been arguing with B of A over 8 OD fees that were generated by bank manipulation of payments. It started with an overdraft of a couple of dollars (which could have been covered from savings) and the subsequent OD fee reduced each deposit/transfer. While I thought I was on top of things, I was really backwards in the account. In talks with the bank I have recovered 3 OD fees but will go to Small Claims if I have to for the other 5. If someone is serious about a class action, I'm prepared to act as well. Talk is cheap-lets get this show on the road. ECF Ontario CA

Ok, Old Banker, can you tell me why when I did actually have 3 overdrafts, I was charged a 4th fee in error, which caused a fifth fee that should have never happened, and I was told there was nothing they could do about it at BOA?? This has happened a few times.

And why is it when I deposit cash on a weekday it clears overnight, but when I deposit cash on a Friday morning it doesn't clear until Tuesday?

I know why!! More fees for BOA!!!

Hey 'beenthere' I dont think a new bank is going to make much difference as they all seem to have the same charges. An approach my wife suggested just makes so much sense, I was amazed at how the banks had cuddled me into thinking debit cards were the only way to go.

Hows this for an answer? Instead of using your debit card for all purchases..use cash. Take out whatever you thin you need for the week in cash (using your card of course) and give merchants cash!!. Then you wont have overdraft fees and you wont have to mark things down in your register (as if we ever did).

That way merchants (espically those who charge you a convenience fee) will have to handle cash, banks will have to count cash and you and I will not have to worry about overdraft fees!! I cant beleive how simple this is..if we all do this, banks may have just killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Who decided we all have to use debit cards anyway? Im going back to cash.

I have an overdraft fee posted to my account in JUNE but there was NO OVERDRAFT??? they can't tell me WHY they charged me for it (at one point they told me they charge me for a fee IF a merchant INQUIRES if there is funds NOT if they POST a transaction ??

I made a deposit one day, happened to be same DAY that a merchant supposidly INQUIRED they didn't POST the transaction for TWO more days the MONEY was in the bank when they posted yet I was charged for a overdraft??? I have also been charged for an overdraft when a merchant NEVER posted a transaction because I NEVER purchased anything they just INQUIRED. (i.e. a "free trial" won't bill you for 90 days yet they submitted and inquiry.

I never purchased anything EVER from that merchant yet STILL got an OVERDRAFT fee!!!) I swear B.O.A. must give BONUS's for whoever gets the most fees charged. ALSO they are VERY inconsistant with WHAT amount they are going to charge I have been charged the $10 overdraft protection fee.

(even if it was overdraft of $20 and I only had $18 in savings, and on the flip I had been charged $35 overdraft when I had a $20 charge, $10 in checking and $10 in savings (so I HAD the $$ just hadn't transferred it over yet) AND on top of that all of a sudden I am NOW getting $3 fee for too many (only two!!) transactions in my SAVINGS ACCOUNT?? yet if I DIDN'T transfer it then I would have had whichever they felt that day the $10 or $35 I HATE bank of america am currently looking for a replacement bank that is convenient to my location)

Its heartening to see the banks have the mailroom staff check out sites like this and post the stock bank answers to complaints between photocopying and collating. But Im sure it wont be long before the Customer Service bot will be able to take over for them. :grin

I can appreciate the complaints of most people when banks post from highest to lowest charges...if you OD...you will get hit with more fees because of that...but are banks also in the business to make money? Fee income is important, and think about this...how much time did you waste of the person you complained to about your fees (and be real, you would complain if it was one or twenty) and the work that goes into processing and maintaining your account...etc.....also, you know how much is in your account, and if not...shame on you. Keep it in writing...note all deductions from your account, if you do this, and only spend what is available, I am sure you would not see another fee.

same story...different day. Idiots and their overdraft fees :eek

I agree with you Old Banker, these people need to stop whining about posting of items highest to smallest and OD fees. maybe if they'd read the information that was given to them when they opened their account about OD fees, processing of items, deposit cut off times, deposit holds, AND using a check register, maybe so many wouldn't be so pissed off.

just a side note: have you ever had a customer wonder why the bank wasn't allowing them to overdraft their account further when their account was already negative....and they knew of the OD fee consequences? I had 2 calls like that the other day... some people are just idiots! :upset

Still contempt to whining! As far as overdrafts related to BOA debit transactions you are on point.

The statement does not reflect negative activity but customers are charge multiple overdrafts which are very expensive and abusive.

The explanation by BOA customer service is confusing as the charges, however the banking centers can show the cause of the fee which is very petty due to the fact unlike a check there’s no cost to the bank for the overdraft. In this case you should make a call beyond the center to obtain the refund since your statement is a legal document (wink!).

The problem with OD is that if you use your debit card it will clear anything and then it shows up as a OD even if the money was there because it was not there when is was supposed to be there even though it was there. Old baker if that makes sense to you you must work for BOA

Ahh.... Senile Banker has this same blurb under any bank complaint here.

Its good to see hes earning his keep! :grin

Im not sure why youre here commenting. If youre happy with your employer-thats great!

Find a site that allows you to expand on the wonders of banks and banking. Most of us can see its quite the ripoff but since youre paid to do a banking job, you have a bias.

Makes me believe that banks do come this site to review comments!! :( 8)

View more comments (12)
Los Angeles, California
Bank Of America Account

What credit card?

I got a letter re Privacy Notice. Card # 9235. I don't have a card with that number. I can't call you. Your instructions are to call # on back of card. I don't have a card - so can't do that. If I don't have a card with that #, how do you have my name and address. If I ever had one, it has long since been cancelled. I have terminated all association with BOA. They pissed me off once too often. Blah, blah blah blah and a few blahs until I get to 100. BlaH, BLAH.

The banks never communicate with the entire account number; they only use the last four digits.

Are you sure #9235 was referring to the card? Most cards have really long numbers, like 12 or 18.

No card would have just four numbers.

That sounds like they sent you the standard Privacy Notice booklet / pamphlet / whatever.

Or maybe it wasn't from BOA (is that Bank of America? You never said what the company was), and it was just some junk mail made to look important.

View more comments (1)
Savannah, Georgia

Bank of America/ Capitol One

I have had a garnishment issued against my bank account Bank of America from Capital One and when you call Bank of America to try to find anything out they don't connect you to there levy department, Bank of America transfers you to the person that issued the garnishment so I wanted to give everyone the SECRET NUMBER TO BANK OF AMERICA'S LEVY DEPARTMENT so that maybe you want have to go throught the *** I have and that number is 954-473-**** this is where you can find out what is going on open's at 10:00AM

For those on the west coast. Their phone number for the Los Angeles Levies & Attachments office is 800-283-**** or 213-580-****.

I tried to call them via the customer service main number and they refused to give me a number or let me talk with them. He said they don't take incoming calls... wrong. I finally got someone at the subpeona office to give me the 213 number.

And I got the 800 number on a letter I received. Both numbers seem to work. Good Luck!

The IRS supposedly faxed my "release" paperwork 3 times and B of A still has not received it. :-(

#382099

New number for BOA legal department -

315-734-****

Thanks for the number. I had it when they actually had the right to put a levy on my account but lost it.

This time around they made a mistake by processing a duplicate levy and is acting like it's not their responsibility to investigate if they've actually made a mistake. I'm actually a pretty good consumer that's has fallen on hard times so while I didn't fuss about the first levy even though it stopped me from being able to provide for my family, I'm definitely fussing about this one (mainly because of the horrible customer service).

why not just shoot the sob, that would solve the issue

:upset yup, VA bens are exempt from garnishment. I thought but those sneeky racals will take your dead great-great-great-great granpa's benefits.

954-515-****

I believe this is a scam by BofA to recoup profits being made by other fees they can no longer charge. $100 to reply to a form???

Seriously?! It has nothing to do with paying your bills nor being a dead beat like the BofA representatives posted here; it is all to do with big business continuing to rack in billion dollar profits. Please join the 'BofA Levy Fee Standupprotest' facebook page.

Additional info can be found there. :(

I pay my bills you can't help when banks lie, and steal...I bet you wouldn't say that if you wasn't hiding behind your computer...

:zzz YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY

View more comments (15)
Matthews, North Carolina

NSF Fees

On August 14, 2008, a deposit was made to my Bank of America account by a Bank of America customer in Maryland. On August 14th, the funds showed available both by phone and internet. I made purchases from those available cash funds and on 8/15/08, I received 3 insufficient fund fees because they showed the deposit being made on 8/15/08. When I contacted a representative and her manager, they both tried to explain the logic, but was very assured that no one would refund my fees. I feel like they've stolen money from my account.

The best thing for you to do is go to a credit union. Good Luck!

its the worst bank in the whole wide USA. i called complaining they said "well u cant do nothing about it except go to another bank.

Its your fault". Tried to get to supervisor but not available. My salary went in but was in "pending" mode, but they were still took 5 NSF fees from my account.

Its not that it was a new check - its the same salary check for the past 6 months! Freaken ridiculous!

I understand your complaints! Do your banking with a Credit Union.

If enough people do this it would put them out of business. They have the WORST customer service ever!

I just went through this. What I hate is that they take it upon themselves to automatically sort debits by largest amount first.

This assures the bank a higher chance of NSF funds. Even though they say it's only "their policy", you have no recourse...

except to go to another bank. That's what I'm doing.

sounds like to me that you made your deposit after the cutoff time at that banking center. As long as you have your receipt (which clearly shows the time of the deposit) we would correct any form of bank error.

Banking centers cutoff time for MD, VA & DC is 5pm Mon-Thur and 6pm on Friday's.

Same goes if you deposit CASH. it will not get processed until next business day IF done after the cutoff time the state of your deposit.

I have had that happen to me in the past and luckily I was able to get the fees reversed. I try my hardest to make sure I keep receipts of all transactions and when I check my account statement online. Also, I print out my online statements showing my deposits and withdrawals which comes in handy when they decided to change the date of transaction listed against you.

Phoenix, Arizona
Bank Of America Checking Account
Update by user Nov 28, 2011

Since it\'s a been few years, I\'ll offer up an update on my continued experience with Shopsafe. If I give the number to a well established online business and know that I won\'t be using the virtual card again, I immediately close the number to and if it\'s been...

Anyone, your temporary number will be treated no different than the real number except when you cancel the number. For example, I like to use temporary numbers to prevent automatic renewals and if the temporary number is cancelled, future charge won't go through and they'll be no problem.

Unfortunately from experience, if the number is not cancelled and the number is stolen and gets used, the charge won't likely go through (either for going above the credit limit you assigned or expiration date) but it will be treated as a fraud incident and your real card will get reissued. This is I know from experience and why I complained about it.

So if you do use Shopsafe, make sure you cancel the temporary number() after use; very easy to do using the web app.

View more comments
Herndon, Virginia

Bank of A-rip-off

I initially had great service with this bank and referred friends and small businesses. I am sorry to say say I regret that. This new system is awful. Everything including cash is pending and nothing can be done about it. I view my account on-line daily and this is how I make purchases only to find the balances to be incorrect and not real time. The customer service is terrible and are not able to help with anything and just keep apologizing for their lack of resolving an issue. They recently took over LaSalle Bank (ABN AMRO) and put up the signs stating this was the official Bank of America. I began making deposits there only to find they are not the same and all deposits take 24-48 hours causing overdraft fees and of course...there was nothing they could do. I will never recommend them to anyone. As a matter of fact there is a lower end bank with three letters that is a nightmare and I would send prople there first before B of A. Rest in Peace to a former great bank... Hostile B of A customer!

I have created a shop safe 100$ valid for 2 months and the card was billed online instantly for 105.71 $.How is it possible for the payment to get through when my shop safe card had a 100$ limit . Further is the shop safe number really safe other than not revealing the original credit card number and are the features really workingI used citi virtual numbers they work perfectly decline the transaction when they are supposed to and citi does not call you to check if the transaction is legitymuralikrishna@***.com

Overland Park, Kansas
Loss

Over draft charges ontop of over draft charges?

I was charged 8 over draft fees in one week. when i went in to bank of America to talk with someone they didn't want to help me but, told me to call customer service. when i called them they found a problem that they made. then told me that they did not know how to fix it and i need to cover the charges. why? my money was in there before the 8 charges. I want out of this bank, I cant live with some one taking my money without me using it fist. i am very pissed

This happened to be too. My online banking posts where all switched around to justify why they charged me 5 NSFs.

I withdrew 900 bucks from my account but they moved my transactions around making it look like I had only 880 in there at the time of the withdrawl.

If i had only 880 wouldnt the teller tell me i didnt have 900 to withdraw and it showed that a taco bell purchase that happened 4 weeks prior posted at the sametime. looks like even these banks are hurting for money.

Wow! I was just charged 3 NSF fees and my account didn't even go negative.

I was told it was because I made a transfer between BoA accounts. Then they changed their story about the times of my deposits despite the paperwork I had in my hand.

I've been a customer of BoA for 15 years, tomorrow I will find a new bank. I can't put my money some place I no longer have faith in - I'll also file complaints with everyplace I possibly can.

View more comments (1)
Auburn, Washington
$2000

B of A customer service = nonexistent

My credit card (MBNA visa) was sold to B of A a few months ago. Checking my APR recently, I saw that it was 16.74%. I have platinum credit and the highest possible rating, so I wrote their customer service deptartment to ask about obtaining a lower rate. I received a form letter stating that they "consider many factors when determining the APR." Superficial and condescending, it didn't even answer my question. I wrote back and told them they could close my account, which they did within two hours. (Yep, customer service was all over that one!) Fortunately that was more than enough time for me to secure a Capital One visa at a 7.99% APR and transfer my existing balance. Just a shame that with so many folks out there with bad credit B of A seems to have no willingness to hang onto their highly ranked customers.

:cry

Washington, District Of Columbia

The Bank Of America????????

Back in June I had the mis fortune of losing my debit card. I did not realize it until I went to check my emails and was advised that my card was suspended due to mis use. Needless to say my card was used. I filed the complaint as they stated. I called in to check on the status of the paperwork a few days later and was advised that the claim was still being processed and that it would be a little while before I would receive it. I continued to follow up via email as well as on the phone and not one time did I get this paperwork. Finally I got in touch with the department that told me that the temporary credit that they initially gave me was reveresed because I did not submit the paperwork. I said what paperwork? They faxed it to me I completed it and returned it immediately. I was advised that the representative would submit the request for me to get the temporary credit back as I had my mortgage payments were due. The rep told me that it would take a couple of days but that it could happen at any time. Needless to say I was down to my last $00.5 and still no credit. I then had the misfortune of speaking to one of those reps that feels as if they are working for the president that all but broke it down to me in such a way that I was left feeling less than because of the situation. I then found out that my claim was denied based off of the fact that the person that used the card put the pin number in correctly the first time. When I called to file the claim the rep that took the claim told me that they blocked the card because there were numerous attempts on the card with the incorrect number. When I called back and spoke with a supervisor on August the 1st, I spoke with a supervisor who advised me of the same thing. He said that he wasn't sure why the claim was denied and that he was going to submit a request for reconsideration. I called in on August the 5th to be advised that that request was denied again on August the 1st. How could that be? That means that there was no real reconsideration given. The "stupervisor" that I spoke to on the 5th stated that the reason why it was denied was because I made a purchase prior to losing the card and they stated that I should have included that purchase in the claim....Huh????? That would not be truthful. I made the purchase. The Bottom line is they are trying to say that they are not going to give me my money back, which I kind of already knew. They charged me four $35.00 fees based on purchases that I made with "my money" that once this incident occured it overdrew my account. The Bank Of America, yeah right I guess only if you have enough money to support America.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Bank Of America Account

Dear Bank of America Customers....

if you the idiot that can not maintain your checking account and is constantly overdrawing it, PLEASE do us a favor and close your accounts and take your business else where. You will quickly learn to find that the same practices and policies that BofA engage in, other banks do as well, weather it be processing of items or sticking by its policies of cut off times and deposit holds. I am tired of hearing the same old story every day about why your account is overdrawn (especially on Wednesdays). We at customer service DO NOT want to hear your life story, suck up the fact that you screwed up, mismangaed your finances and are now being assessed fees. If the fees were applied and it was due to BANK ERROR, we will acknowledge that and fix our mistake - even if you do have to call us about it. But if you make purchases with your check card over the weekend, you should know that those items DO NOT POST to your account UNTIL they go through processing the next business day (Mon-Fri). So when your account goes through processing Monday night and you have a outstanding check come in causing your account to become overdrawn, DO NOT CALL US to see if we will give you back the overdraft fees, because they are not result of any BANK ERROR, you screwed up, not us. As far as processing of items, Bank of America like any other bank in the country, POST all credits (as long as we have it before the cutoff time for your state) before any debits AND we process items largest amount to smallest amount PER federal law (except in the state of Nevada, because of the state law and gambling combined together). We associates at Bank of America try do our best for whats right for you as a customer and provide you with resources to help you better manage your finances (automated system and online banking), but it is ultimately the responsibility of YOU (the customer) to make sure that your transactions are recorded in your check register. Once you have that information, you should know where your balance stands. I get paid to provide you with information regarding your account and to educate you on how your account works and other products and services, but the moment you call me, start dropping "F" bombs towards me, pretty much calling me incompetent and trying to tell me how to do MY job, customer service for you goes out the window and i'm not gonna sugar coat *** for you. The moral of the story for today kids is: *be an adult and take responsibility for your *** up on your account. *do not call customer service with an attitude like we owe you anything. *when you do call customer service, be NICE and receptive of what we have to tell you and as a result, you won't receive "bad" customer service back at you. FYI to those verbally abusive customers, we do reserve the right to close your account and send you a check in the mail of your remaining balance for your abusive language. Keep it up and we will report you to Chex Systems as well to prevent you from opening an account any place else. Thank you for reading, enjoy your day. Any questions, comments or concerns email at loyalcustomer26505@***.com

Coward.

Notice how you didn't sign your name. 7 people in my family have all the issues complained about.

But you are all talk to your customers who keep your *** employed

I hope and can't wait for legal remedies that close your bank down. And another thing, sounded like threats to what you do if people confronted you on fraud

I once was charged the 35.00 fee for .23cents overdrawn, I called and told them I couldn`t see how they could charge such a astronomical fee for less than a quarter overdrawn, they gave me some bull****line but eventually got it back, but was told next time they have no choice but to charge the fee. That to me is outrageous fee for less than a quarter!!!

But this is how banks make their money, they hope we overdraw!!!! :(

Go to your SENATORS!

Ok to the person who posted this thread, and yes I do work for Bank of America!!

Did you ever once try to understand why people are upset? Did you read their posts and try to understand their situation? Did you ever look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself why you didn't just answer them without coming home from work venting taking it out on customers? Btw I get paid to report bad Bank of America employees, though you better watch yourself next time.

You better try to save your position cause when they start down-sizing, you might be the one to be sent home, and threatening Bank of America customers, regardless of the fact is an offense to our Code of Conduct, you should know the drill, or maybe you need to watch the CSR Video we train employees to watch to better handle customers. :).

Even though some of the stuff said is right (from what this person said), always check your general ledgers and your account ledgers online. Sorry for any inconvenience we caused you, we always look forward to making the customer happy. If you see or notice anyone that claims, or belittles the customer of Bank of America, please call 180*-***-**** or email abuse@***.com. We look forward to stopping any employer who makes us look bad, the faster you send in your information regarding report claims of CSR abuse the better to assist you.

I have a small business and bank with BOA. I have a line of credit for my business, always pay my bills on time and more than the min.

payment. BOA has increased the interest rate from 10% to almost 25% which has more than doubled my payment. I'm struggling to keep my head above water in these hard economic times but every time I turn around some big business is trying to drown me. Where is all the help for the middle class of today?

What's wrong with this picture people?

We bail out the banks with our tax dollars and then they take full advantage of us! As soon as I can, I'll be saying bye bye to BOA!

I like how you tell customers to take responsibility for their own errors which includes paying fines and fees, yet banks don't feel the need to take responsibility for their own errors, you can find loads of stores about how a bank put money into the wrong account and then months later when they realize there error instead of taking responsibility for it and being out the money they go and just yank it out of the account. I'm sorry but that's your *** up, and it's hard enough to get you guys to admit it so the money can sit in there for months some times. If we as customers don't pay attention and mess up we pay for it, so banks should have to pay for it also when they don't pay attention and mess up.

when it is MY error I ADMIT its MY ERROR!! however I have on a COUPLE Of occasions been charged fees that NO ONE on YOUR END can EXPLAIN and bc its been 2 months they can't do anything about it????

your commercials are MISLEADING if they show the "check your account anywhere, even in the mountains" as I DID that I checked my account PRIOR to making a purchase and SAW that the ONLY two prior transactions I had (and YES those TWO transactions are the ONLY ones I had for the FOUR days BEFORE and the FIVE DAYS AFTER this one!!!! )open HAD posted and it showed I had a balance of $49 I spent $47 and yet I was charged an OVERDRAFT FEE?? when I called to complain I was told I shouldn't check my balance ???? WTF WHY OFFER OR ADVERTISE that if you shouldn't USE IT????

hmmm maybe you (you as in Bank of America) have HEARD that complaint often (as I haven't seem to have been seeing that commercial lately ? wonder if there is a class action that could be had on that ??? ) Trust me I AM VERY ON TOP OF MY ACCOUNT I canot AFFORD to get any type of "extra" fee or charges I check my account SEVERAL times a day. I have called to report LEGITMATE claims against other company's (oh and again ANOTHER COMMERCIAL that seems to be MIA.....we will refund your money while its investigated???) BULL!!!

on those claims I was told they could NOT refund my money (and please they were ONLY $12 claims well one was $75 and one was $25, ALL were REFUNDED to me by the MERCHANT as they were FRAUDULENTLY MADE!!!

I was trying to avoid having NSF fees b/c due to these PROVEN FRAUDULENT charges my account was below the balance I like to KEEP it at. but NO ONE wanted to help you have the WORSE customer SERVICE I have EVER experienced and I have WORKED customer service for over 10 yrs!!)

Yes, it is our job to help you out as much as i can and educate you about your accounts... but it is NOT our job to take abuse.

You know, once i had a client threaten to "slit my throat" if i didnt return overdraft fees... what should i have done in your opinion.... oh... i am sooo sorry about the overdraft fees sir....

here you go...

full refund!!!? :?

wow, its nice to see that there is no hope for humanity....

Trucker guys -

I do my best every single call to provide quality customer service to my customers, but when you have someone that is unrealistic, unreasonable, it becomes frustrating to do your job and not become upset. I can only speak for myself, and i speak from YEARS of experience.

Working Mother -

i understand your gripe and frustrations, living pay check to pay check. I have student loans that i am into my 5 year of paying, i have no roommate nor do i live with mom. its understandable that you're upset for being overdrawn by 1.79 and that you probably received a $35 fee, but when you spend money that is not there in your account, those are the consequences that must be faced. One thing people fail to realize is that in the banking industry, its a computer system that recognizes overdrawn accounts and applies over draft fees. Not some monkey pressing the overdraft button at the first sight of seeing a negative balance.

To everyone -

just be kind to the next customer service rep you speak with, situations usually work in your favor when you're polite and understanding. Put yourself in the shoes of a CSR. Imagine yourself when you're pissed off and you're yelling at someone, cursing them. How would you feel if you were on the receiving end of something like that 80 - 100 times a day.

Customer SERVICE! That is your job title.

SERVICE means being proffessional even when the customer is not.

YOU Mr.

or Mrs. Customer service took the job, deal with it!

View more comments (15)
Morgantown, West Virginia
Bank Of America Online Banking

Bank Of America asks for account credentials at another bank

Yesterday, Jul 23, 2008, I tried to open a CD account with Bank of America online, and in addition to all the standard information (name, age, SSN, address, mother's maiden name, citizenship, routing number and account number) I was also asked to provide my userID and password to the -another - bank account from which the CD would be funded. Stunned, I called their 800 number and they confirmed that, since I was not an existing customer with Bank of America, I had to provide the user name and password to my account at the other bank, or else could not open the CD. I strongly believe this kind of information should have been disclosed first-hand, to avoid me entering all my credentials in vain. And what happens now to all my personal information, since I don't even have an account with them, so Bank of America cannot be held responsible for leaking it out? This morning I went in person to their local branch, and the manager was as surprised as I was to hear that I was asked the userID and password to access my banking account at another bank. My going in person to the local branch didn't solve the problem though, since apparently they, the local branch), have no communication with the online banking department, other than calling the same 800 number I had called the previous day. According to the local branch manager I talked to, they don't even share the same database! Needless to say, I would never open an account with Bank of America, if it means to give away my user name AND password to my account at another bank!
Dallas, Texas
Bank Of America Online Banking

Bank of America Credit Card Services Ruined My Credit

I have been banking with BofA for 15 years. Recently the grossly overpriced fees have been getting to me financially. A few months back I was late on two payments to a credit card held by BofA. About two months later the bank closed the account and raised the minimum payments from about $700/ month to $1900/month. Well, now I am unemployed with no way to pay them off. Now they are sending me to a collection agency after "trying to help". If they had not closed the *** account in the first place, I would have been ok. Do not bank with this company, when times get rough they send their henchmen to get their money with no regard for the consumer. My wife and I would have been doing well, except for this housing crisis caused in part by the *** banks giving everyone in the world credit and mortgages. Now they are getting the *** credit card holders with only minor blemishes. Soon, I will be closing my other credit and bank accounts with bank of america. Adios to you BofA. Thanks for cleaning my family and many others out of their hard earned cash.
Mesilla Park, New Mexico

Getting screwed by MBNA

If you are not aware, if you check my MBNA account you will find two things When Bank of America decided to buy MBNA or take them over which ever occurred. They not only took over MBNA assets but their responsibilities. One of those responsibilities was “customer service” What MBNA/BOA consider customer service was to ‘quietly allow the account to exceed the maximum balance. Thus providing MBNA/BOA an excuse to raise the interest rate. Not true you say, well let me explain. I had stopped using the card as so did the other authorized user Connie Butt. What ran the card up was automatic payments. The excuse for this according to one of your ‘account mangers ‘ “We did not want your “phone or other services to be cut off” There is just one problem with this ‘ When I requested a increase to pay for automobile repairs it was denied. The denial I might add was before the allowed over charges. And the increase in interest rates. Then there was the late charges because even though I was making a transfer from another card. It could not be processed because of some glitch in BOA’s take over of MBNA. Then there was BOA handling of all of MBNA’s third party services, you know the ones ‘ travel, car rental, hotels........ As customer of MBNA’s and not of BOA I was told when I learned that a ‘airline ticket had been made out in the wrong name, by BOA that they were not responsible for any errors made by MBNA. That it was up to me correct it. That fiasco took 5 days on the phone with “ world points’ Delta Airlines , BOA customer service ( who were of none) and a visit to San Diego Airport, where being forced into a desperate situation got the issue solved using a very successful tactic. Where was BOA all this time ‘ not helping g the customer. No they were putting it back on MBNA.. In simple put,, you established that I am not and have never been a BOA customer. And if I want being that MBNA no longer exist all of my debts are expunged. You can not take the good without the bad. When BOA bought MBNA it was not a desk and chair punchers it was the whole dam store. Zits scars and all. People tell me I need to have patients.. To which I reply ‘why are you having a ‘ash and sack cloth sell’ Well I don’t need any and I don’t need any more of BOA B.S You have stretched my patient to the limit. I have had repeated conversations with your ‘account mangers’ but now it appears as if not only am I getting calls from FIA but request from BOA to class them
El Cajon, California
Loss

Bank of America overdraft (you are not told about this part)

When you do an over draft Bank of American will reshuffle all the amount for the last 3 days by largest to the smallest, not by date. Then this will empty your acount quicker. I got 5 $35 overdraft charges all of the items were done the day before I the one I should have been charged for. On of them was $35 on a $2.00 charge. The state and the Fed's don't care. After Enron I thought that we were to have ethics in book keeping. Bank of America has none. They will give lips service, but not any money back.

I ahve a checking and savings account with Bank Of america they have been really great in the 7 months I ahve ahd the acoounts I have been charaged 3 $35 overdraft feee and then they have been returned

I open a new account every 3 months, get keep the change and have BOA match my donations. I have 3 current accounts (all free). After 3 months the rewards are piddling, so I use the new account and will let the old sit until it reaches one year and the rewards are paid into it.

I will do this until i feel that the ridiculous fees that I was assessed in the past on my one account have been paid back to me 2 times over.

Also, they give at least one courtesy fee refund one each account. So if I ever get one in that 3 month period I am covered.

BOA wants to use the system to screw me, I will use their system to screw back.

My wife and I graduated college and both got good jobs in law firms. We deposited our checks (for a considerable amount) and then a week later started spending the money.

They held the checks, charged overdraft fees and then applied the deposit to the account the same day. Their reason was that our banking "habits" had changed. As students with an account there several years we could always deposited our check right away and had instant access to the money.

Now that we make an onscene amount of money we can't even gain access to it!? Needless to say we switched quickly to Wachovia and love it.

Wow! At first I thought I was the only one.

After researching I am comforted by the fact that I am not.

Let's get together and tear down the B.O.A system by contacting our congress and ligislature, no action no votes from. I feel so bad that this happens to so many people and the Feds just sit back and enjoy the perks!

Bravo! same thing pretty much happened to me and my wife.

Why is there not a class action lawsuit? If you google BofA you will find myriad stories from other folks who have experienced this same ***.

Get away from BOA as soon as possible! All it takes is one instance of overdraft to get locked in a vicious cycle of outrageous charges and debt.

Before I banked with them, I succesfully managed my own finances for nearly ten years with only one overdraft incident ever.

Last summer, my husband and I opened an account there because the idea of "keep the change" was so appealing. It's hard to save money in this economy and the "bank of opportunity " seemed promising in the realm of "financial success". We got burned, badly, and the day we closed our account seemed like a holiday!!

The same thing happened to us, it started with one overdraft charge ... transactions were switched around to empty the account. The next thing we knew, we were charged overdraft fees for -- overdraft fees! We were up to our neck in fees. They took about a third of my husbands automatic payroll deposits every other week. We canceled direct deposit as an attemt to regain control of our budget; Apparantly that annoyed them, so they began holding his check for 4 days at our local branch.

We were getting behind on our mortgage and other commitments because so much of our money was taken by that bank. As soon as we received our economic stimulus check, which was deposited into our savings. They automatically transfered 400.00 to checking without our consent. We didn't appreciate that very much but our debt there was settled and we closed our account. That was months ago -- up until last month we were still receiving statements. Go figure.

All that to say, that thousands of dollars were taken from us within a three month period. We accept responsibility for a fraction of this mess, but there's no denying that we were screwed. Monitor your account several times daily and print statements each time you do. They are known for performing odd fanagaling of numbers, as you said, to get more money from their customers. BOA is known in our circle as Bunch o' ***

Why is statement free banking considered "green" nowadays? It has less to do with environmental concern, in my opinion, and more to do with taking rights away from consumers.

Do Not bank there!!

Bank tellers, don't take this personally. Customer service was almost always pleasant at the branches... it's just the corporate entity itself that's crooked.

Hinesville, Georgia

BANK OF AMERICA - EMPLOYEE STOLE $6,000 FROM ELDERLY

A Central Florida Bank of America employee stole a $6,000 CD from my family!!! My mother visited a Central Florida branch of Bank of America, to check on her ailing father's accounts. As a caretaker, and having power of attorney, for my grandfather, my mother gave her ID over to the teller / Manager, in order to be able to review his current accounts. This woman left into an office, and a short while later returned with a few documents showing my grandfathers accounts and balances. Unbeknownst to my mother, the teller never gave one of the records (of a $6,000 CD) to my mother. Instead, this disgusting excuse for a humban being closed the CD, created a check and later cashed the check.....utilizing my mother's POE documents (which included my grandfather's signature, which this teller forged. More on that momentarily). A few weeks after our mother went to this Bank of America branch to check on the accounts, she received an angry letter from her siblings, who noticed that a CD had been closed, and accused her of taking this money from our grandfather. She was shocked and devastated at the accusation, for she never even KNEW this CD existed, much less would she EVER take money from ANYONE, much less her ailing father. My mother is a true angel and saint, full of pride at how she has worked for all she has, and will not even accept financial assistance from her own children, much less would she ever steal from her own father!!! Immediately upon learning of this closed CD, my mother began a quest to get to bring this bank teller / manager to justice. She went to the Bank of America branch, she went all the way up the chain of contacts in Bank of America to have this incident investigated. We have documentation of every disgusting lie (and how this branch teller / manager's story has CHANGED repeatedly). This woman even went so far as to say that my mother "took the check outside to have my grandfather endorse it to be cashed"!! My grandfather lives in Arkansas, and has NEVER traveled to Florida, so this in itself was impossible!!! But no matter how clear it was that this woman was guilty, covering, changing her stories and outright lying, every attempt to even have her investigated and brought to justice has failed. My mother has contacted every Government Agency she knows (Banking Fraud commissions, Department of Elderly Affairs, etc. etc.), to try to get assistance in bringing this dispicable woman, who prays on unsuspecting elderly people, to justice....TO NO AVAIL. The final correspondence that my mother received from the investigative lead at Bank of America (in Atlanta, GA), basically concluded by saying that the teller / manager in question would continue to be monitored over a period of time and, should anything suspicious surface, she would be fully investigated. That was the end, and we have hit a brick wall. I cannot tell you the pain and torment this has caused my mother, who is such a gentle, honest and sensitive soul....and who has had to bear the pain of her family's accusations, and who has received NO justice or closure from the Bank of America, an employee of which has stolen $6,000 from my family. BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE, AND PLEASE WARN AND PROTECT YOUR ELDERLY FAMILY MEMBERS IN FLORIDA FROM EVER HAVING THIS HAPPEN TO THEM!! Very Best Regards from a distraught family.....

I'm just finding out that I may have $50,000.00 taken out of my account. I had an checking account and someone made a CD account. When I call the bank they told me that the account doesnt exist or doesnt match my SSN.

I'm filing a claim Monday?

The same thing happened to me in Lakeland, FL. A Bank of America employee stole MY CD.

I have been working a month to try to recover it. They won't put it back until they get it back.

The trail of the "dissappearing CD" ends with one of their employees cutting a check to herself. IF anyone else in FL has had the same or very similar problem with Bank of America, please contact me at dedls2003@***.com for a possible class action lawsuit to recover OUR money.

I, like "banker" above, am wondering to whom the $6,000 check was made payable - perhaps to the grandfather since there is mention of an endorsement apparently in his name. The cancelled check, or copy thereof, should have been returned to the writer's mother or grandfather or to whomever may have been designated to receive his bank statements.

I find it odd that the writer's mother, who had POA didn't know of the $6,000 CD but her siblings "noticed that a CD had been closed" not too long after the fact. How did they happen to "notice" it. Who received the grandfather's bank statements, original CDs, correspondence from the bank etc. and where were they kept?

From my experience, one usually has to sign something when closing a CD - sometimes the certificate itself or some other document, maybe a receipt for the check. I would think that anyone acting under a POA would have to sign something like that if she closed the account and received the proceeds. How about in this case?? Was the back asked to produce any such receipt or similar document?

Also, I suspect a bank employee who embezzles or otherwise takes money doesn't do it just once. Get away with it once and then do it again. Thus, watching the employee in question might be productive. I'm also wondering who had the original CD document - the grandad?

The writer's mom?

And of what, if any, significance is the fact that the branch bank in question is in Florida but the grandfather had never been in FL and lives in AR. Would love to know more about this one.

I would be interested to hear the tellers take on this. The thing is, if she had cut a check who would she have cut it to?

herself? that doesnt sound right AND on top of that it is against any bank's ethics policy to accept any sort of MONEY from a client. Who cashed the check if it wasnt written to her? did she?

Thats a pretty big red flag there. I personally have had a bad experiance as an employee regarding a CD. I made a goof (only human) and opened a CD without transferring the funds from the clients checking account (a 20K cd) The client came in 5 months later the "check on" his CD which wouldnt have matured for another 5 months. I looked it up to find that it was "closed" because it had never been funded.

HMMM... how could you not miss that there is an extra 20k in your account? Anyway. I offered to give him the interest that he WOULD have earned if the funds had been transferred (again my mistake).

HE decided to try and make a bit more then the interest and told me he had given me 20 k CASH. When i asked where the "cash" had come from in order to trace the supposed funds .... uh.... HOME.

OK i would have remembered getting 20K cash in as I would have had to get the tellers to do a CTR.... did more research and A) on the deposit ticket i wrote deposit of funds transferred from checking account B) there was a withdrawl ticket WITH his signature in the system stateing withdrawl from checking account to fund new CD #.......

BUT i had written the incorrect transaction code so it had kicked back... THANK GOD i had written those comments and had him sign everything or MY bank would have been out 20k and more then likely i would have been axed!

this story is absoultly the truth and in my opinion the lack of time that videos are kept by the bank of america is absoultly in excusable to me if they were to keep the videos for a minumum of 3 months this teller would be in jail right now and one day this lady will be caught and i cannot wait for the day that this happens because i for one will be right there at the bank of america in kissimee florida asking that these branches be closed

Reston, Virginia