Bank of America charges to cash their own checks to non-customers thus forcing you to give them your own money. Shame on you Bank of America.

The regulating body of financial institutions says this is legal. Shame on them too. Why not change the law? It's only common sense.

I guess in a free country like "America (Bank of)" you are forced to open a bank account (not that I don't have a few) in order to keep your own money. I hate Bank of America and I stopped doing business with them years ago.

I like Washington Mutual much better and no fees.

Review about: Bank Of America Account.

Comments

It is now $8 to cash a check if you don't have an account even if the check is written from BofA. This is a rip off that just happened to my son.

I do business with BofA but do not agree with this policy. As soon as I can, I want to move elsewhere.

Customer service sucks and lines are always long. So disappointed!

Did somebody just saying cashing a check is a privilege? If you issue a check, which is a guarantee of money, you have an obligation to satisfy that obligation, not a privilege to do it.

You client owes me money.

You gave him a right to issue checks in your name to satisfy that debt. It should be criminal you can refuse to do so without a bribe of $6.

You client owes me money.

absolutely disgusted with Bank of America, may they go out of business...

I have a B of A account. I can't even write my Husband a check instead of going to the bank and getting him cash without they wanting the $6 fee.

He refuses to cash a check from my bank as "extortion" trying to get him to have an account there. I don't want to put him on my account and I hate the inconvience of going to the bank to get cash out for him to save $6. I think I'm going to move my account to a Credit Union. I pay a $14/mo.

fee to have a checking accout. They get to use my money until I spend it.

The charge 29.99% on my VISA. They get plenty from me without charging the check cashing fee.

FightForJustice

When banks cash their own check, they are completing a transaction FOR their customer. It is NOT a service to the person trying to cash the check.

The bank's customer does not have to get in their car, drive to their bank, get money out, drive to the person they wish to pay, etc. They don't have to do all that because they have a bank for that.

It should be illegal for a bank to charge a non-customer a fee to honor their own bank's check!!!!!!! Bill they bank's customer, they can complain and switch to a better bank!!!

No one denies it is legal. And BoA clearly discloses this information to their customers when they open accounts.

No one forces a person to cash a check at BoA. The service is for the check casher and not the original customer. If you don't want to pay the fee, but decide to go to BoA anyway then make the maker of the check pay you that much more money. It's between you and them.

You are a customer of the maker of the check, but not the bank the customer uses.

They are within their rights to recoup costs related to the transaction (staff, money, computers, etc). They charge the customer for costs related to their transactions (keeping track of their money, internet sites and maintenance, mail delivery of documents, etc).

A little late into this thread, but Chase fingerprinted me today to cash a $12 check from a friend for a cell phone. He's an old man who gets confused easily, so I've been ordering net10 deals online, and we split them.

Chase gave me the line-of-hooey about "to protect the bank." I started spouting off laws and wanted to know why they wanted me to fingerprint and what would become of the print; of course, I did not get an answer.

Someone wrote about all the people clogging up the teller lines. Look, in the old-golden days of banking, there was no online or debit card withdrawal banking. So banks do less work all the time, and charge more for it.

Both BOFA and Chase are big-time criminals.

I'm not thru with them yet. Wrote a letter about ADA law, what if I'm allergic to the ink, blah blah blah, and I'm coming in to examine the Community Reinvestment Act.

What they really wanted was for me to open a small account. No way, Chase honey! I'm sticking to my credit unions.

ransom
to Patti C. #871201

Then why didn't you cash it at your credit union. The bank does not owe non customers free services.

I got fingerprinted in Chase today in Dallas, TX, over $12 a friend wrote me for a cell phone. He's an old man who confuses easily, and I've been getting Net10 deals and splitting them with him. Next time he'll give me cash for his half.

I mentioned laws in Chase and they looked at me like I was the criminal. I'm going back in a few days to look at their Community Reinvestment Act. I'm not through with them yet.

As this cr@pola about too many clogging up the teller lines, there are a lot of people like me who bank online and get cash back on a debit card instead of going in a bank.

I use credit unions mostly because of what banks don't do for the private individual.

Bank of America go *** yourself!

Open a Bank of America account and have a business where people can sign Pay to the order of and your name, and charge them $2 instead of $6.

And for those that say the bank shouldn't provide check cashing privileges to those without accounts -- think of it this way. Cashing one of their clients' checks is a privilege that should be awarded to their customers.

I've already asked my employer to use another bank and they've agreed. Also, I can take a check drawn from BankNorth written by anyone and they will cash it and they don't even ask for I.D.

much less a fingerprint and a fee. Go to BankNorth

The only way to hit these thieves is for every employee that gets paid with a B of A check to request that their employer use another bank. Losing customers is the best way to get them.

My experience is that it's never consistent. Last week i cashed my BA check at a BA location and they just cashed it. This week we had to do the $6 and fingerprinting. My fellow worker went to a different branch and they just cashed it -- none of us have an account with BA.

So they're totally inconsistent too so I suppose that could be considered discriminatory... get it?

bnb4dark

I worked for a doctor, who paid us in, hand written checks from BOA, I did not have an account there, so I would go to the bank every week to cash my payroll check, and was charged 5-6 dollars per week, to cash the check drawn off BOA, the reason I went is because I needed the money ASAP, adn my bank would hold it a few days, To me this is extortion and withholding of my wages, What happened to the times where if you carried the check to the bank it was drawn off it would be cashed for free!!!!

We helped the banks out to constantly get screwed, they are not short on money, go to any bank on friday or Saturday and you will see it full of people just like me, poor, blacks, africans and latinos, people who have to pay there bills and need there money, The banks have become check cashing facilities.

I asked the doctor to get direct deposit, he said they would charge him more, but the way it is now they are double dipping, my doctor pays a monthly fee for having an account, and I have to pay to cash my payroll check. They are big ripp offs

to bnb4dark Seattle, Washington, United States #930121

Interesting to see that only poor, blacks and latinos use banks? So confused....

The bank is NOT providing a service to the non-customer. The bank is providing a service to it's customer who wrote the check. Failure to honor the check on it's face without charging a fee to the person the check is written to is the same as not honoring the check.

Anyhow, B of A is charging $6 to cash THEIR OWN checks from THEIR OWN customer accounts...it's ridiculous.

It's funny how many justify this as, "if your not a customer" or just go "negotiate it somewhere else". What ever happened to a bank honoring it's own checks? As an account holder I EXPECT my checks to be honored, not the person that received my check to be ripped off, or blackmailed into opening an account with them.

How does this Make B of A any better, or worse than a common check cashing place that overcharges for their services? It doesn't!

But more to the point this "behavior" is legal unfortunately. But as well all know, the banks are ever so trustworthy, and aren't greedy bastErds that need bailing out huh?

After numerous thousand dollar cash deposits coming up missing (made in bank lobby) and having to demand a instant credit with my receipt because they wanted me to wait a week for them to figure out their mistake, and online transactions going wrong (double withdrawals etc - also their fault) all with an arrogant attitude until they realize it was their screw up, then receiving a basic "oops" with no real apology, and now this!!!!!!?

I left B of A.

ransom
to Julie #871203

The checks ARE honored and payed, they are just charging a fee to provide the service for people who are not their customers. Completely fair.

Personally, I'd send the check back to whoever wrote it and demand a fee for a dishonored check. Let them raise the issue with THEIR bank.

Waunakee, Wisconsin, United States #49148

I completely agree with Gman. From a customer standpoint.

If I write someone a check, I expect my bank to honor it without charging the recipient a fee. Bank of America is a total ripoff artist.

They have a fee for everything and all rules are strongly in their favor. It's like depositing your money in a casino, without the fun of gambling!

Waaahhh I have to pay $5.00 to have a check cashed..waaahhh immigrants...waaahhh my bank is small and BofA is too big...waaaahhh...real simple people bank somewhere else...how many thousands of banks are outhere? BofA is not for everyone so close your accounts and go bank at Wamu, I mean Chase.

Or bank at Wachovia, I mean Wells Fargo or Citi or whatever they are called today. Maybe I'll get a relief from having to listen to all your *** comments on the phone.