Bank of America charges to cash their own checks to non-customers thus forcing you to give them your own money.Shame on you Bank of America.

The regulating body of financial institutions says this is legal. Shame on them too. Why not change the law? It's only common sense.

I guess in a free country like "America (Bank of)" you are forced to open a bank account (not that I don't have a few) in order to keep your own money. I hate Bank of America and I stopped doing business with them years ago.

I like Washington Mutual much better and no fees.

Review about: Bank Of America Account.

Comments

It is now $8 to cash a check if you don't have an account even if the check is written from BofA.This is a rip off that just happened to my son.

I do business with BofA but do not agree with this policy. As soon as I can, I want to move elsewhere.

Customer service sucks and lines are always long.So disappointed!

Did somebody just saying cashing a check is a privilege?If you issue a check, which is a guarantee of money, you have an obligation to satisfy that obligation, not a privilege to do it.

You client owes me money.

You gave him a right to issue checks in your name to satisfy that debt.It should be criminal you can refuse to do so without a bribe of $6.

You client owes me money.

absolutely disgusted with Bank of America, may they go out of business...

I have a B of A account.I can't even write my Husband a check instead of going to the bank and getting him cash without they wanting the $6 fee.

He refuses to cash a check from my bank as "extortion" trying to get him to have an account there. I don't want to put him on my account and I hate the inconvience of going to the bank to get cash out for him to save $6. I think I'm going to move my account to a Credit Union. I pay a $14/mo.

fee to have a checking accout. They get to use my money until I spend it.

The charge 29.99% on my VISA.They get plenty from me without charging the check cashing fee.

FightForJustice

When banks cash their own check, they are completing a transaction FOR their customer.It is NOT a service to the person trying to cash the check.

The bank's customer does not have to get in their car, drive to their bank, get money out, drive to the person they wish to pay, etc. They don't have to do all that because they have a bank for that.

It should be illegal for a bank to charge a non-customer a fee to honor their own bank's check!!!!!!!Bill they bank's customer, they can complain and switch to a better bank!!!

No one denies it is legal.And BoA clearly discloses this information to their customers when they open accounts.

No one forces a person to cash a check at BoA. The service is for the check casher and not the original customer. If you don't want to pay the fee, but decide to go to BoA anyway then make the maker of the check pay you that much more money. It's between you and them.

You are a customer of the maker of the check, but not the bank the customer uses.

They are within their rights to recoup costs related to the transaction (staff, money, computers, etc).They charge the customer for costs related to their transactions (keeping track of their money, internet sites and maintenance, mail delivery of documents, etc).

A little late into this thread, but Chase fingerprinted me today to cash a $12 check from a friend for a cell phone. He's an old man who gets confused easily, so I've been ordering net10 deals online, and we split them.

Chase gave me the line-of-hooey about "to protect the bank." I started spouting off laws and wanted to know why they wanted me to fingerprint and what would become of the print; of course, I did not get an answer.

Someone wrote about all the people clogging up the teller lines. Look, in the old-golden days of banking, there was no online or debit card withdrawal banking. So banks do less work all the time, and charge more for it.

Both BOFA and Chase are big-time criminals.

I'm not thru with them yet. Wrote a letter about ADA law, what if I'm allergic to the ink, blah blah blah, and I'm coming in to examine the Community Reinvestment Act.

What they really wanted was for me to open a small account. No way, Chase honey! I'm sticking to my credit unions.

ransom
to Patti C. #871201

Then why didn't you cash it at your credit union. The bank does not owe non customers free services.

I got fingerprinted in Chase today in Dallas, TX, over $12 a friend wrote me for a cell phone. He's an old man who confuses easily, and I've been getting Net10 deals and splitting them with him. Next time he'll give me cash for his half.

I mentioned laws in Chase and they looked at me like I was the criminal. I'm going back in a few days to look at their Community Reinvestment Act. I'm not through with them yet.

As this cr@pola about too many clogging up the teller lines, there are a lot of people like me who bank online and get cash back on a debit card instead of going in a bank.

I use credit unions mostly because of what banks don't do for the private individual.