I was issued a check from my insurance company drawn on a Bank of America account. I don't have a BOA account, but wanted to cash it at BOA.

The check looked different from previous checks from my insurance company so they wouldn't cash it. I talked to my insurance company and they said they have always used that format. The only way to cash it is to deposit it into my bank and wait for it to clear. Totally unacceptable.

What if I don't have a bank account. If it is from their bank they should cash it.

Product or Service Mentioned: Bank Of America Account.

• Check Cashing Policy

Comments

Technically if you don't have an account at Bank of America they don't have to do anything for you. If you don't have an account there, you are a liability.

Once you walk off with the money the bank has no recourse if the check is bad.

This is what banks do to protect themselves from fraud. To be frank, if you aren't a customer they don't really care what you think.

@JBanks

J Banks- Sadly Bofa does not seem to care what anyone thinks. Their CS department is useless.

Their right hand does not know what their left hand is doing. that said , you seem to have some good insights/knowlege, but your coments are condecending and harsh.If this was a BofA check, then BofA should have felt confident in cashing it.