I tried to book an internal Russian Federation Aeroflot flight (through a travel agent) with my Bank of America Credit card. This caused their fraud dept. to refuse payment. They sent me an e-mail informing me and directing me to the following web site: http://myfraudprotection.bankofamerica.com/welcome.aspx/

About the same time I got an e-mail from the travel agent about this.

I went to the web-site, I answered all the standard security questions, gave them my account number, but got a message saying they were not able to service me at this time and to try again later. I tried three more times.

So I called the regular Bank of America number on the back of my card. They acknowledged there was a question and went over the account with me and I approved the charges.

They also told me that Bank of America does not send emails like this!!! To make a long story short - nobody (that a lowly user such as myself is allowed to talk to) could tell me if this is a legitimate site or not. They do not know who to ask or who might really know. Then I was advised to cancel my card and open another! This when I am in the middle of booking a 2 weeks vacation in Russia. I finally settled on monitoring my account on-line often.

It turns out (like so many other businesses today) there is no place to send an e-mail for (higher-up) help.

In addition, what if I had not checked my e-mail immediately. Many people cannot.

So big, so many customers, so little personal help.

Product or Service Mentioned: Bank Of America Credit Card.

Comments

BoA really does use this third party company to deal with possible fraud alerts on their accounts. The bad thing is this adds another possible point of failure for hackers to access enough information on you to support identity theft.

This third party company has to be given all of your personal data including recent transactions in order to verify your identity and the suspect transaction. For some reason BoA has determined it is more cost effective for them to contract this out to another company that specializes in this service, rather than handle it themselves. You will also notice that any block on your account is not immediately removed since the company only sends the verification to an actual BoA rep who then lifts the block when they get to it. If you don’t like that BoA does it this way to save a few pennies, log into your BoA account and go to messages and post a complaint.

Tell them that verification of a transaction should be done fully through BoA, and the customer should be able to verify this online by logging into their actual account.

No one should ever be called at their home or be asked to call a number and give enough personal information to support identity theft to a third party over an unsecure line that anyone could be listening in on. Also you will find out that this website is blocked by most government networks as a phishing site.

#120384

it's legit. It didn't ask for a return email, it directed her to the bank of america site. Do a little research or just look at the address and put it into Google. Also, might want to google how to identify a legit link since the bank's core web address being right before the dot com and the link being easily located on the BofA site didn't tip you off. That site is on the main BofA website. That is their credit card fraud alert division website. Meaning this person opted into that service and the email notifications (you know it can't be 100% free) or an overzealous BofA employee signed them up even if they said no. That service is no different than all those recordings you have to sit through and decline each time you call any bank's credit card customer service. They want to buy as many of those just $19.95 per month credit monitor, travel reward, shopping services yadda yaddas as you're willing in the hope that you'll forget and they'll make an extra $20 to $100 off of you per month from now on.

BofA front line phone and email employees have ZERO idea what they are talking about outside of their job descriptions scripts. They don't know that they have fraud alert services, keychain credit cards, balance transfers, that they bought up C&S and NationsBank in the past, how long you've actually had an account, that you have other types of accounts within the bank. Nothing. They are all on the level of the Wilshire employees that just got fobbed off onto IBM by BofA - jr. high drop outs if you're lucky.

Oh, and you can find the email addresses of the very high ups to complain "directly" (secretary) to right on the Bank of America investors website. Charlotte, NC needs to hear from more of the people on this site so that they have a clearer understanding that they need to beef up their hiring practices.

#119116
You just can't help ***. ANYONE who provides personal information via e-mail is dumbmer than a rock.

Read the fine print in ANY credit or debit card you get, bank notwithstanding, and it tells you that they NEVER contact you via e-mail. I bank with BoA and have never had a problem. In addition, when there has been suspicious activity on my account, the called me. Accordingly, I called back to the number and verified that it was them that called.

Even when they call me, I do not provide information. I call back to the number I was provided when I opened my account.

*** is as *** does!!! :cry