A Central Florida Bank of America employee stole a $6,000 CD from my family!!!

My mother visited a Central Florida branch of Bank of America, to check on her ailing father's accounts. As a caretaker, and having power of attorney, for my grandfather, my mother gave her ID over to the teller / Manager, in order to be able to review his current accounts. This woman left into an office, and a short while later returned with a few documents showing my grandfathers accounts and balances.

Unbeknownst to my mother, the teller never gave one of the records (of a $6,000 CD) to my mother. Instead, this disgusting excuse for a humban being closed the CD, created a check and later cashed the check.....utilizing my mother's POE documents (which included my grandfather's signature, which this teller forged. More on that momentarily).

A few weeks after our mother went to this Bank of America branch to check on the accounts, she received an angry letter from her siblings, who noticed that a CD had been closed, and accused her of taking this money from our grandfather. She was shocked and devastated at the accusation, for she never even KNEW this CD existed, much less would she EVER take money from ANYONE, much less her ailing father. My mother is a true angel and saint, full of pride at how she has worked for all she has, and will not even accept financial assistance from her own children, much less would she ever steal from her own father!!!

Immediately upon learning of this closed CD, my mother began a quest to get to bring this bank teller / manager to justice. She went to the Bank of America branch, she went all the way up the chain of contacts in Bank of America to have this incident investigated. We have documentation of every disgusting lie (and how this branch teller / manager's story has CHANGED repeatedly). This woman even went so far as to say that my mother "took the check outside to have my grandfather endorse it to be cashed"!! My grandfather lives in Arkansas, and has NEVER traveled to Florida, so this in itself was impossible!!! But no matter how clear it was that this woman was guilty, covering, changing her stories and outright lying, every attempt to even have her investigated and brought to justice has failed.

My mother has contacted every Government Agency she knows (Banking Fraud commissions, Department of Elderly Affairs, etc. etc.), to try to get assistance in bringing this dispicable woman, who prays on unsuspecting elderly people, to justice....TO NO AVAIL. The final correspondence that my mother received from the investigative lead at Bank of America (in Atlanta, GA), basically concluded by saying that the teller / manager in question would continue to be monitored over a period of time and, should anything suspicious surface, she would be fully investigated.

That was the end, and we have hit a brick wall. I cannot tell you the pain and torment this has caused my mother, who is such a gentle, honest and sensitive soul....and who has had to bear the pain of her family's accusations, and who has received NO justice or closure from the Bank of America, an employee of which has stolen $6,000 from my family.

BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE, AND PLEASE WARN AND PROTECT YOUR ELDERLY FAMILY MEMBERS IN FLORIDA FROM EVER HAVING THIS HAPPEN TO THEM!!

Very Best Regards from a distraught family.....

Product or Service Mentioned: Bank Of America Banking Service.

Comments

I'm just finding out that I may have $50,000.00 taken out of my account. I had an checking account and someone made a CD account. When I call the bank they told me that the account doesnt exist or doesnt match my SSN.

I'm filing a claim Monday?

The same thing happened to me in Lakeland, FL. A Bank of America employee stole MY CD.

I have been working a month to try to recover it. They won't put it back until they get it back.

The trail of the "dissappearing CD" ends with one of their employees cutting a check to herself. IF anyone else in FL has had the same or very similar problem with Bank of America, please contact me at dedls2003@aol.com for a possible class action lawsuit to recover OUR money.

Wahiawa, Hawaii, United States #24866

I, like "banker" above, am wondering to whom the $6,000 check was made payable - perhaps to the grandfather since there is mention of an endorsement apparently in his name. The cancelled check, or copy thereof, should have been returned to the writer's mother or grandfather or to whomever may have been designated to receive his bank statements.

I find it odd that the writer's mother, who had POA didn't know of the $6,000 CD but her siblings "noticed that a CD had been closed" not too long after the fact. How did they happen to "notice" it. Who received the grandfather's bank statements, original CDs, correspondence from the bank etc. and where were they kept?

From my experience, one usually has to sign something when closing a CD - sometimes the certificate itself or some other document, maybe a receipt for the check. I would think that anyone acting under a POA would have to sign something like that if she closed the account and received the proceeds. How about in this case?? Was the back asked to produce any such receipt or similar document?

Also, I suspect a bank employee who embezzles or otherwise takes money doesn't do it just once. Get away with it once and then do it again. Thus, watching the employee in question might be productive. I'm also wondering who had the original CD document - the grandad?

The writer's mom?

And of what, if any, significance is the fact that the branch bank in question is in Florida but the grandfather had never been in FL and lives in AR. Would love to know more about this one.

Los Olivos, California, United States #23894

I would be interested to hear the tellers take on this. The thing is, if she had cut a check who would she have cut it to?

herself? that doesnt sound right AND on top of that it is against any bank's ethics policy to accept any sort of MONEY from a client. Who cashed the check if it wasnt written to her? did she?

Thats a pretty big red flag there. I personally have had a bad experiance as an employee regarding a CD. I made a goof (only human) and opened a CD without transferring the funds from the clients checking account (a 20K cd) The client came in 5 months later the "check on" his CD which wouldnt have matured for another 5 months. I looked it up to find that it was "closed" because it had never been funded.

HMMM... how could you not miss that there is an extra 20k in your account? Anyway. I offered to give him the interest that he WOULD have earned if the funds had been transferred (again my mistake).

HE decided to try and make a bit more then the interest and told me he had given me 20 k CASH. When i asked where the "cash" had come from in order to trace the supposed funds .... uh.... HOME.

OK i would have remembered getting 20K cash in as I would have had to get the tellers to do a CTR.... did more research and A) on the deposit ticket i wrote deposit of funds transferred from checking account B) there was a withdrawl ticket WITH his signature in the system stateing withdrawl from checking account to fund new CD #.......

BUT i had written the incorrect transaction code so it had kicked back... THANK GOD i had written those comments and had him sign everything or MY bank would have been out 20k and more then likely i would have been axed!

Arhus, Arhus, Denmark #23253

this story is absoultly the truth and in my opinion the lack of time that videos are kept by the bank of america is absoultly in excusable to me if they were to keep the videos for a minumum of 3 months this teller would be in jail right now and one day this lady will be caught and i cannot wait for the day that this happens because i for one will be right there at the bank of america in kissimee florida asking that these branches be closed

Arhus, Arhus, Denmark #23252