Hello all. I want to help others who may be going through what I encountered with BoA. As many consumers know, BoA will NOT release holds on pending transactions that are either not authorized, point of sale (cash register) errors, or generally NOT the consumers fault without a faxed letter from the retailer stating that the consumer was not charged. I'll explain. One day I went to the gas station at 5am before work, on low fuel due to waiting for payday, to purchase gasoline. The clerk input the wrong amount for the gas and the wrong type of gas. I had him cancel the transaction. This locked my BoA account. I could not get gas, as BoA told me when I called them that the funds should be returned within the hour, once my account was unlocked. I purchased lunch at a cafe at work with the card, and was fine. That evening, when I went to get gasoline, the card declined. I called BoA and was advised that I was locked from purchasing any GASOLINE, even though my account was unlocked at this point. They stated that I needed a letter from the retailer, on letterhead, signed, stating that I had no purchase and a RECEIPT attached showing NO PURCHASE. I asked, as did the gas attendant, how the *** we could provide a receipt for a transaction that never took place. BoA would not answer that, and I only got home that night because given that the next 4 days were a bank holiday, the gas attendant felt bad for me as I could not get home to my children and put gas in my car. I learned a trick today when this happened to me with another retailer. Here's what you do when BoA advises you that you need to provide a faxed letterhead:
1. Go on Google images, or the company's website, and find a logo for the company. Place it on a new Microsoft Word document.
2. Type up a brief statement that includes your card number, the date of the transaction, the time, your name, the amount of the pending transaction, and type a name of the person at the retailer who you spoke with, fictional or otherwise. Note: I spoke with Jessica, on my letter, I was advised to type "Sincerely, Jessica Thomas, Exxon/Mobil". In other words, make up a last name, and leave space above that fake name and title.
3. Sign the fake name (i.e. Jessica Thomas) above the typed name.
4. Fax the letter (it does not matter what number it is from) to 575-737-6707.
5. Call BoA in exactly 30 minutes and ask if a fax came through yet for your pending transaction. The representative will check, come back to you and advise you that the hold has been removed and your funds are now available immediately. NO 72 HOUR WAIT.
NOTE: THIS ADVICE WAS GIVEN TO ME BY A BOA REPRESENTATIVE, AND SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IF YOU DO NOT AUTHORIZE FUNDS TAKEN FROM YOUR BOA CARD AND THE RETAILER HAS ALREADY RETURNED THE MONEY TO YOU, OR NEVER CHARGED YOU. TRYING TO HAVE MONEY CREDITED TO YOU THAT WAS NEVER TAKEN IS FRAUDULENT!
I hope this helps someone out there, since I couldn't get BoA to help me at all, not even at a corporate level. It works! Beat the system! :)