2.6K views

I purchased a car in Florida in 2001 with an auto loan from Bank of America. I repaid the loan in May 2004. When I recently (June 2011) attempted to sell the car, I discovered that Bank of America had not released their lien on the car. The first BoA agent I spoke with wanted to charge me $20 for a lien release statement. I declined and called the Florida DMV to determine what exactly I needed. They told me that BoA needed to release the lien electronically via the FL DMV system.

I then attempted to get back in touch with BoA (7/12/2011). After being hung up on multiple times, I finally got through to an agent named Diane Washington. She initially told me that it would take her a few minutes to put the information into the system. When I pressed her to clarify whether she meant the DMV system, after several rounds of Q&A, she said: no, she was just keying in a ticket for someone else to address. When I asked her when I could expect this someone else to actually get onto the FL DMV system and release the lien, she said it would take 7-10 business days. When I told her that was completely unacceptable - they had already had 7 YEARS to release the lien, she said she would put a rush on it and have it resolved within 48 hours.

It was not. I called the FL DMV four business days later (7/18/2011) and was told that BoA had not filed the lien release.

I called BoA back this morning (7/19) and spoke with an agent named Jacob Landrum, who said that BoA filed the lien release yesterday, though he could not tell me what time it had been filed. He offered no explanation or apology for not meeting their promised turnaround time of 48 hours. I then called the FL DMV back, only to be told that the lien had not yet been released by BoA.

I then called BoA back and spoke to an agent named Kia Collins, who was unable to provide any further information. I then requested a supervisor and was put in touch with Tonnisha Taylor, who told me that Diane Washington could not have promised me a 48 hour turnaround because their typical turnaround was 7-10 days. I assured Ms. Taylor that Ms. Washington had and that even Ms. Collins had seen the promised 48-hour turnaround in the system. She then said that if Ms. Washington had promised me a 48-hour turnaround, she should not have done so.

I then asked Ms. Taylor why a two-minute task – filing the lien release in the FL DMV system – should take that long to complete and she replied that "the agent needed to research the matter before releasing the lien." Note that all call center agents and the supervisor had complete access to my repayment date and all other vehicle and loan information they needed. So it is still unclear to me why filing the lien release should even have taken 48 business hours, let alone the 96 business hours that it appears to have taken … and at this point, I only have BoA's less-than-credible word that they have actually filed the lien release.

I am completely disgusted with BoA. Not only have they not been proactive in addressing their 7-year old error (they took my phone numbers but never called back to inform me that the matter was delayed or resolved), but at each stage, agents have been downright ignorant, made excuses, prevaricated, and simply attempted to get me off the line as quickly as possible without any concern for resolving the problem. Given everything I read about the company and my own past experiences with them, I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I am … that a company this unprofessional continues to stay in business.

Product or Service Mentioned: Bank Of America Loan.

Comments

I work in the business. This happens all the time from and across the board with all financial lenders so it's not exclusive to Bank of America.

I'm not defending them just explaining to you. When you trade in a car that is paid off and you have not lost your title.. there is nothing you need to do

If you trade your car with a lienholder showing.

(Which happens in about 25% of every deal in America). 75% of the time the Dealer will let you take the vehicle and just call and get a lien release letter from that lender.

The other 25% of the time the Lender wants to talk directly to the consumer for privacy reasons so its nothing but a 10 minute phone call

to Peter Allen #1388622

btw way for those of you who don't believe me, I do this with auto loans about 3X a month so I know, don't make it a bigger deal than it is that's the Devil trying to make you worry again.

PS I always say a prayer to my Lord and he seems to speed up the process also ( ;

to Peter Allen #1610489

So my sister died 11/7/18. Her car has been paid off.

Could not find lien release documents in any of her paperwork (even though she had time to put her affairs in order). Three phone calls and two faxes of the same documentation and now two referenced numbers, I'm still only promised "seven to ten days" to process. Told them I'm calling every day till somebody can verify it's accomplished. Now I'm going to call the direct number to the branch in florida.

not expecting anything but i'm going to start blowing horns.

I don't give up easily. Any advice?

New Hampshire, United States #1350322

They are doing the same thing with my home. We purchased it as a foreclosure and they never released the prior lein. Now 5 years later its been over 1month fighting with them.

I paid off my auto in 11/2009 and still no title..I called DAILY for over 2 months every day on my lunch hour. I have written certified letters..etc..

no reply at all.

I would like to start a class action law suit for all of the Years that I had to provide full insurance coverage. I still have the vehicle as it cannot be sold with no title.

You think that's frustrating! We are trying to sell my grandmothers double wide trailer- we've all travelers to FL from Various parts of the country and the BofA which said they released the lien in January ( mind you my grandmother paid off this home in 2000!- 15 yrs ago!) The Sarasota county office just told us the lien is still not released! We have 1 day to take care of this and they have yet to call us back 5 hrs later

In 2004 my husband and I paid off our home with Bank of America, a loan obtained in 1990

They sent us a lien release, unfortunately the lien release was fradulent not on the home we paid off in full. Wells Fargo found this out in a title search now, we have been fighting with them for days, and now I have had to retain an attorney. They still have their lien filed against our home even though it is paid in full in 2004. The worry over the last week has made me sick. They do need to be held responsible for acts such as this.

Every American needs to be made aware of this so they can check that their Lien realease is correct, and not filed on another home.

Wow - 20 years! As a matter of fact, I did have the matter resolved a few days later.

I don't know that any single person was particularly helpful. I suspect it was the combination of daily badgering and promising to post my grievance on every complaint site and investigate the possibility of a law suit for car theft, if necessary.

I would call them and let them know you are airing your grievance via every mode possible - online sites, local TV stations, Clark Howard (CNN), better business bureaus, their CEO... Good luck!

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, who is the can-do BofA person who actually did their job.

We are trying to get a lien release on a loan paid off in 1991 (on a mobile home). That was 20 YEARS AGO! You are absolutely right: It shouldn't take days to do a 5 minute job.

They promised us back in Nov. 2010 and still no results: RIDICULOUS!