State: California City: Redwood City Product: Bank Of America Customer Care Clear all filters (1 of 110 reviews match)
filters
State:
City:
Product:

Bank Of America in Redwood City, California - Absurd "security" procedures & questions!

2.5
Had the unfortunate need to speak with BofA today. They sent me new credit cards stating my existing card "may have been part of a data compromise at a merchant where you do business." Well, if I need new cards then wouldn't it be nice to know WHICH MERCHANT may have been compromised (so I could be more careful with them in the future)? So instead of telling me this in the mailing with the new card I had to call them and ask. Customer Service couldn't help me because they don't have access to that info. [Transferred to "Fraud Dept".] The Fraud Dept, of course, has to "verify" me again but, since they're Fraud, they have to be even more attentive. 1) They ask a former address. I give a former address. Then they want a cross street near my former address. "Can't anyone with Google Maps tell you that? (with the info I just gave you)" I ask. How is that "security" or "verification"? 2) What is your tel# on record and who is the provider? they ask. After prompting I tell them the number and then tell them the provider IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!! I'm assured they have "public records" that tell them this information so I reply that they should use their public records but that I won't participate in confirming or denying "public records". So, considering that their objective is to "verify" that I am who I claim to be, HOW IS IT MEANINGFUL TO USE INFORMATION TAKEN FROM PUBLIC RECORDS FOR THAT PURPOSE RATHER THAN USING INFORMATION THAT I HAVE GIVE THEM DIRECTLY?? I can state for a fact that several pieces of their so-called public record info are WRONG. This method of "verification" is nothing more than personal information trolling!! and is based on speculative information. I declined any further absurdities and ended with my case being escalated to the Executive Resolutions team. I have marginal expectations but will repeat these complaints there again. I urge anyone encountering similar nonsense to COMPLAIN LOUDLY and move your business elsewhere!!!
Review
Service
Bank Of America Customer Care
Cons
  • Absurd security procedures
Reason of review