After several decades as a loyal Bank of America customer (and NationsBank prior to the acquisition), I am drawing down my accounts and switching to a new retail banker. My debit card was somehow duplicated (credit card skimming) and used to make a purchase at a jewelry store in the amount of $1300.

You would assume that a large banking institution such as Bank of America would have its customer's welfare at heart and process a fraud claim with little to no incident. Unfortunately for me I have spent months filling out police reports, and working with the fraud department for the jewelry store only to have my repeated claims with the bank rejected. I have spent the past few months listening to agent after agent tell me why there was "no error".

In essence they are indicating that I made the purchase and have chosen to submit a fraudulent claim. I have heard every excuse: "you could have given your card to someone else", "you made another purchase in the same state", "was and arrest made?", "you logged into your account in the same state so you knew the purchase was made and there was no sense of urgency" (mind you the initial claim was submitted the evening of the purchase.

It is clear to me that the bank is intent on blaming me as the victim.

Further, there is no indication that this couldn't happen again.

Like many of you, I can't afford to lose $1300. I'm moving on to a new institution and recommend any who considering banking with Bank of America to heed my cautionary tale.

Product or Service Mentioned: Bank Of America Credit Card.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Comments